On September 20, 2023, the IIAC provided its recommendations for a revised education model for investment and mutual fund dealers alike. Some key points:
- The work experience and formal education that is recognized by regulators as relevant should be expanded. Let’s not unduly limit those we who can contribute to industry professionalism.
- Exam content for all registration categories should be relevant to the job and kept current. Industry input into exam content can help.
- Rather than a separate exam addressing ethics, all exams should include professional conduct content.
- An individual who writes and passes an exam for a registration category should be able to apply for the job. Firm sponsorship is unnecessary.
- Preparatory courses for all exams should be left to a competitive, open market.
CIRO’s proposal is here.